What is Air Abrasion and is it right for me?
Air abrasion is a way to remove decay from a tooth without using a dental drill. It works like a sandblaster removing graffiti from walls.
The air abrasion hand piece blows a powerful air stream of tiny aluminum oxide particles, or a baking soda mixture, out of its tip onto the tooth. The tiny particles bounce off the tooth and blast the decay away.
Air abrasion is most commonly used to prepare teeth for composite fillings but can also but can also be used to:
- help repair cracks and discolored teeth
- prepare teeth for bonding procedures, such as sealants, and for various other procedures
- Repair chipped, fractured, or worn teeth
- Prepare teeth for cosmetic surgery
- Remove stains and spots
- Repair old fillings and sealants
- Repair broken crowns and bridges
To find out if air abrasion may be a good option for you, make an appointment with your friends at Longmeadow Family Dental Care.