Our glossary features any dental term you need to know, from A to Z. Still confused about something? Give us a call — we’re happy to help.
- Unbundling Of ProceduresThe separating of a dental procedure into component parts with each part having a charge so that the cumulative charge of the components is greater than the total charge to patients who are not beneficiaries of a dental benefit plan for the same procedure.
- UnilateralOne-sided; pertaining to or affecting but one side.
- Universal/National Tooth Numbering SystemA system that assigns a unique number (from 1-32) to permanent teeth, and a unique letter (A-T) for primary teeth.
- UpcodeReporting a more complex and/or higher cost procedure than was actually performed. Also known as overcoding.
- UtilizationThe extent to which the members of a covered group use a program over a stated period of time; specifically measured as a percentage determined by dividing the number of covered individuals who submitted one or more claims by the total number of covered individuals. Also, an expression of the(...)
- Utilization ManagementA set of techniques used by or on behalf of purchasers of health care benefits to manage the cost of health care prior to its provision by influencing patient care decision-making through case-by-case assessments of the appropriateness of care based on accepted dental practices.
- Utilization Review, Statistically BasedA system that examines the distribution of treatment procedures based on claims information and in order to be reasonably reliable, the application of such claims analyses of specific dentists should include data on type of practice, dentist's experience, socioeconomic characteristics, and(...)